Renovating older homes is a great way of saving money on housing. Buy a 'fixer-upper' for little or no money down. Do the home renovation yourself and build immediate equity in the property. Save money during the home remodeling project by using the tips below.
1. Plan the home house clearance northlondon renovation to coincide with seasonal clearance sales. Exterior siding and roofing goes on sale during warm months. Water heaters and furnaces go on sale in fall. Planning the remodel ahead will allow a homeowner to save the most money during the renovation project.
2. Do the home renovation yourself. Don't get discouraged if a project doesn't work the first time. Practice with new tools before attempting the actual renovation project. Save money by renting tools for short-term use on home remodeling.
3. Hire professionals for major electric and plumbing renovations. Some jobs are over the head of the average homeowner. For safety purposes, professionals should do any renovation jobs involving major wiring, plumbing or gas lines. Get several estimates from reputable companies and choose the best savings.
4. Bring the kitchen and baths current for luxury. A mix of modern is necessary for the most used rooms of any home. Shop clearance sales at home improvement stores for the cheapest fixtures. Fixtures don't have to match in every room. Buy a claw-foot tub at an auction and refinish yourself as a bathroom renovation.
5. Buy an old cabinet at a garage sale to use a sink base. Spend no more than $20-30. Cut a hole in the top, set a sink in and plumb through the back. This is a cheap way to add a sink to any room during a renovation.
6. Save as much original wood as possible. Bring back the character with a little clean up. Buy paint and varnish strippers when they are on sale to save even more money. Using original woodwork during a home renovation will help connect the past with the future. Use small scraps of original wood for picture frames or window frames.
7. Do small sections of the home renovation at a time. By keeping to smaller sections of the home, it is still possible to live there throughout the remodel. Cover all vents leading to and from sections under renovation. Ventilate any fumes or drywall dust away from the living area. Rent a porta-potty during bathroom remodeling.
8. Use paint to cover minor imperfections during home renovations. Don't try to rebuild the entire house. Hide wall imperfections and slants with paint colors and techniques. Practice painting techniques on scrap pieces of drywall to find the best effect for the room. Dutch Boy offers quality paint and offer sales and rebates. Watch the local ads and check each retailer to combine paint rebates with a sale price to save the most money.
9. Prime every surface before painting. Old drywall and wood surfaces will soak up paint quickly and still look dull. Priming fist will save money on paint.
10. Go to garage sales and auctions for cheap flooring for home renovations. Buy cheap throw rugs at garage sales to protect hardwood flooring or new carpeting during home remodeling. Buy carpet remnants at auctions and factory closeouts for the best money savings.
Doing home renovations yourself can save money and build equity in a property. The resale value of the house will go up with any remodel.